Friday, January 9, 2009

That I could have sworn was you...

I went to a tiny bar last night called the Rear View Mirror with Wes & Michelle to check out some musicians/songwriters. We saw a neat little ensemble that Michelle described as "gifted, drunken children with instruments", a fellow with a piano (I think he needed to be a part of his jazz trio to be understood) and then saw a guy in a dark corner with a familiar smile and eyes, and a guitar, so I was completely won over.

I woke up this morning with some verse running in my head because he reminds me of someone I spent several years very close to, and in fact, loved very much.

(Be kind, this is my first poetry in YEARS!)

Untitled - January 9th

I was sitting in a small bar when you walked in,
or at least I could have sworn it was you -
you who I have not seen in a year or two.

Your shy eyes and open smile
made me take pause and stay a while.

Your strumming fingers -
or his, anyway,
made me linger
long after it might be appropriate to do so, but I did, and I do, and I knew,
the longer I sat there watching who I could have sworn was you -
you who I have not seen in a year or two,
the more I knew -
you would be in my dreams in a day or two.

And so you were -
found your way in right away,
let yourself in and sat for a spell,
sparking all kinds
of feelings I thought I had left behind.

The memories of late nights spent dancing and then watching those same shy eyes
open every bar or two to seek approval.
Agile fingers moving over frets and strings -
like it was the most natural of things.

Just like the most natural of things for me to do is remember you -
you who I have not seen in a year or two,
and remember that I forgot to fall in love with you.

No comments: