Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Baptism By Fire

Work has been going crazy - not as in crazy busy but just crazy boring. The days drag on forever. Today, I spent the entire day in front of the Hobart industrial dishwasher. It reminded me of the Hobart mixer they had in the kitchen at summer camp when I took the cooking session and they told me the baker called it "Hobie" for short. All of this food service stuff is making my head feel like exploding.

Tomorrow, they have Josh and I serving a group of 45. I have never served anyone ANYTHING before, so I am not sure how that will work out. Amber plans to go in, and acting as a hostess, remind everyone inside that we are in training and new to the job so to not be mean bitches, though I am sure you get some in every bunch. Luckily, they are only ordering off of the preseason menu which has like, two soups, a couple of sandwiches and two dessert options - there may be 10 menu options total, if that, so it's not like I have to remember the ingredients/prep of an extensive menu, but I haven't had a chance to really look at the preseason menu and memorize that. Hopefully, I will have a chance to do that tomorrow before the group arrives for lunch, and also find out what salad dressings we offer, and if iced tea and lemonade are the only drinks we serve besides "libations".

Today, I discovered that the shoes I purchased were even on the list of recommended shoes (shoes "similar to" the shoes on the list would have been suitable as well). I will have to buy better shoes later because I know those $20 shoes aren't going to hold up my feet for long shifts, but they look good and 1855-ish, so that's all that matters. I also drove S's van to Laundry to make sure they had changed the lace on my dress and let the hem down (or did they bring it up, I can't remember?), which they did. They are also trying to find me the right daycap but I don't know if it's gonna happen.

Anyways, I am nervous out of my mind! Agh!

No comments: