Monday, July 28, 2008

Noticing you noticing me...

Today, I wasn't thrilled by some conversation going on at work. I can listen to as much sailor talk as the next person (and I do, at this job), but when people start to get ignorant and intolerant, it bothers me.

There was some discussion going on about a homosexual couple that were using a surrogate mother to acquire a child for them to raise. I think that's fine - homosexual couples are as entitled to being parents as most heterosexual couples (and I secretly think a lot of them would make better parents than most heterosexual couples!). Someone commented that "the child wouldn't have a chance at a normal life" and if it was a boy "he would have no choice but to grow up gay"... GAH! I wanted to tear my hair out. I said something that shocked everyone there -- "I don't care if a child's parents are a man and woman, two women, two men, a cat and a dog - as long as that child is being loved and cared for, it doesn't matter to me at all!". Then I commented that I don't believe that gay is always a choice.

One of the women involved in the conversation is quite religious - but she is the sweetest woman. Her son is very effeminate, and knowing him and with the "gaydar" I have developed over the years, I would not be surprised if he came out. I don't speculate this kind of thing in regular conversation because what difference does it make? I also make it a rule to believe that someone is heterosexual as long as they maintain that front until they tell me or prove otherwise.

I think her opinion will change if her son comes out. I, too, had those same sorts of feelings when I was heavily involved in the church (though not intolerant, I was not for gay marriage, believed it was a choice, etc)... when I got out into what I like to call "the real world", lived, worked and played with some homosexuals, my tune really changed. They stop being a label or a "sexuality" and they become a real living, breathing, compassionate, loving person who will do anything for you. Then you have no choice but to change your tune - because seeing some of the heartache and struggles that I did, I know none of my sensitive, softhearted friends would honestly CHOOSE this path for themselves if they knew they could avoid all the hardships they were experiencing by choosing another path. Sure, some folks may choose to be homosexual, but I do believe in some people, it's hardwired in in advance, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I think people don't like to agree with that theory because "what if my son grows up to be gay - that means I genetically caused that problem because they were born that way!". People don't understand that gay is not wrong. It's not a disease. It's not any more of a sin than lying, cheating or stealing - according to the Bible, all sins are equal. I believe in and appreciate a higher power - a God, a creator... but I don't agree with many involved in the churches who believe that gays and lesbians are second class citizens.

Anyways, GAH!

Then I had two mares in heat that I was working last night that each had my number. I have an old pinto mare in here called "Paint" that is in for training - just the basic stuff. The catch is that she's 10 years old and often when they're that old, left that long, and with an "unknown" background, someone, somewhere has completely ruined them by trying to train them. I don't very often see horses with the saddle on the first time that don't buck a little bit, but she was going crazy, AND she was coming right for me everytime she started. She had my number. I'm not scared off yet, but I am definitely wary that someone took this little mare out and hurt her bad. She is sweet to handle on the ground, not a nasty bone in her body without a saddle on - lets you put your hands all over her, but when the saddle was cinched up, that was an entirely different story.

Then Bronwyn tried to buck me off. She was being, for lack of better words, a little shit, and I had to stop her a couple of times and cool myself off because I was getting pretty pissy. I have to go back and examine why she's bucking, but my guess is not saddle fit or chiro pain -- I do think she's being naughty and that is the whole of it.

No comments: