Thursday, April 16, 2009

On a more serious note...

I am still stewing over Plenty Of Fish.

It seems I can't stop myself, even though I know realistically, I am never going to find a man on that website, ever. I will do much better meeting someone in person and going through all of the rigamarole involved that way.

But ANYWAYS, something I thought I should say, because it's my blog and I can.

Even though I consider myself a "Christian", I really don't think I could date other Christians. I am WAY too open minded... I have strong opinions on things like... HUMAN RIGHTS. I sent a message to a guy on POF whose profile said he was a Christian and "one of the most interesting people you'll meet", which I thought meant he was probably a rather open minded one, so let 'er rip with a message about my beliefs and that kind of thing, and he sent back a message telling me that many of the things I spoke about are directly spoken AGAINST in the Bible and we would be "unevenly yoked" in a relationship (even though it was so not relationship aimed). Anyways, he had a stupid maltese or something for a dog so he probably wasn't worth getting to know anyways. Stupid froo-froo dogs!

With that said, it makes me think about the things I hold true...

I don't think that our God would have US deny people basic human rights (gay marriage), and according to the Bible, no sin is greater than the other (except maybe blasphemy or denial of the existence of God until the day of your death?) - so churches who shun gays and lesbians and divorcees but not people who tell lies or steal or covet their neighbour's wives are actually being really hypocritical. I also don't think that a God who would go through so much trouble to make us in His image and pay attention to every little detail of our life is going to turn us away from the gates of Heaven because we didn't go to church every Sunday.

I believe that different denominations are MAN's interpretation of the Bible and nothing else, and so therefore, you can't say "This is the one TRUE way" and believe all other denominations will rot in hell. I don't believe you have to go to church every Sunday and speak in tongues and jump through several flaming hoops backwards in order to get into Heaven. I think the most important things in life are to love others, love yourself, have a healthy respect if not "relationship" with a Creator, and be NICE, overall. I don't think it is our place to judge, or shun, or turn people out because of choices they have made or things that have happened to them. I REALLY don't think that is what God intended for us to have as a role.

If we are to help others who have "sinned", judging them sure isn't the way to do it. Support, and prayer (if you believe in that) are the best ways to help someone.

I also believe that if someone is doing something that makes them happy and it's not illegal and not hurting ME (maybe with the exception of worshipping Satan), what right do I have to tell someone they can't do it? Maybe riding horses is offensive to someone - but it doesn't hurt them, and it's not illegal, and it makes me really happy - I would be mortified if someone tried to tell me I CAN'T do that or I CAN'T be their friend anymore... nor would I ever say the same to someone else.

I've come to the conclusion that Christian men see things only in black and white and are afraid to question the things they read in the Bible... they are afraid to really think about their faith because then they start to come across doubts and doubts mean you're not a good Christian, right? I really think God gave us the ability to think and process so that we COULD make up our own minds. I don't think we're meant to just follow everything we read (remembering that it is just SOME MAN's interpretation of the Bible) and are told by figures of authority in the church without questioning it or thinking about it or making it our own. We were given free choice for a reason.

1 comment:

April said...

I subscribed a while ago because I enjoy reading the things you have to say. Especially today, I totally agree with you.
I have a feeling if we lived close to eachother, we'd be great friends! :)
-April