Monday, April 27, 2009

Keep it cool!

I had a couple of adventures today... well, one occured last night but was technically "today" since it was after midnight!

I went to visit Tiffany and D (even though D is always asleep when I come at late o'clock) and lost track of time until it was almost 1am. The van needs new tires DESPERATELY and we have had a slow leak in the front driver's side tire... I pumped it up before I left Nackawic, but then on Maple Ridge, felt the definitely buzz/hum of a clear flat. Pulled over, tried to pump it up to no avail. I don't have any minutes on my cell, just text, so I had to text Tiff and get her to call my parents at 1:15am (!!) and wake them up and have them come and get me because I was stranded. She said dad sounded mad but he was overall not too angry. He never once had to come and pick me up drunk or in trouble anywhere during my childhood so he really can't complain when things happen that aren't my fault. In fact, he blamed HIMSELF for it. The tire had a weird bump in it and it must have just let go, I didn't hit a pothole or anything to make it go down, so that's what I figure. Have to locate some new tires tomorrow morning!

First thing, I got up and kicked horses out then dad got me and we went to change the tire on the van and bring it home. I wasn't home for too long when I looked out and Bronwyn and Ari had climbed out of the fence somehow (I know how, they lean on it and the posts fall over because the ground is all loamy right now because of all the water!). Rex was in their stalls, and the goats were in his because their pen was being cleaned out so I went to help finish cleaning out the goat pen before we could bring them in and when I looked out again, Jessie had busted the fence too, and they had taken off through the orchard and up the hill toward the road at breakneck speed. Freckles, too stupid to walk five feet up the fenceline and step over the destroyed fence, was going ABSOLUTELY NUTS. Racing around the pasture SCREAMING. Usually she is in on any jailbreaks. Sable also was still in the pasture chilling out near the pony/llama/alpaca/goat pen, didn't care that everyone else was gone - bless the old girl.

I took a bucket of grain out to shake and call for them but they thought they could hear green grass growing so they hung out up there while I tried to stop Freckles from ripping down the rest of the fence. Finally, dad brought me her halter and I led her back to the barn, but not before she tried to jerk my arm out of it's socket. SOMEONE is getting a lesson on LIFE shortly!

THEN I walked up the hill to get to Jessie, B and Ari... when Ari saw me, she trotted over all cute and lovely, took some grain, and then trotted around the pasture... then Bronwyn came over and did the same thing. All proud, I'm thinking "those're my girls!"... then they took off down the hill without me (even though I had brought a halter and leadrope!). Just wanted me to get some exercise, I guess! I was leagues behind them when I finally got down but they went into the barn alright.

Later on in the afternoon, I went out to try some of Monty Roberts' "join up" method with Bronwyn (works or not, it's good to spend time with her!), and before I even got to B, noticed that my pet sheep, LO (short for "Little One"), had a really cute, slimy black lamb beside her (!!). Ran to the house and got mom and we got LO2 up and going, nursing. She is jet black all over, except for a few tiny white hairs on the very top of her head. I am still deciding if we will call her LO2 (because she is literally the smallest lamb I have ever seen, even smaller than LO herself was!) or Retsina. Still thinking!

I played at the join up game with Bronwyn for a little while, but was unsuccessful in getting exactly what I wanted out of her. I didn't expect to get it right away, and I'm not completely sold on the method either (something about predatory aggression toward a prey animal to make it trust you just seems so wrong to me)... but it was neat to see her dropping her head and chewing and licking, signs of submission - though she certainly didn't do it for long periods. She trusts me fundamentally, but when it comes down to complete and utter trust, I don't think I will ever win that one over. I trust her, I respect her, and she does the same for me but she just isn't "in love" with me the same way I am in love with her, I guess! I thought about taking her for a ride but I free longed her for so long trying to get her to join up when I turned my back that she had worked up a sweat. If nothing else, she will get fit in the process of all this stuff.

I really should ride her tomorrow, though, because I started a "Biggest Loser" thing against Tiffany, Valerie and Chris... I have been eating alright lately, but I want to get better and better! :) I can't wait until vegetable gardens are ready for harvest... love fresh produce from the garden! Also gotta work hard on getting my water into me and my sleep, so I won't be up for very much longer! (Yeah, right!)

No comments: