Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The worst day followed by the best day... and now I'm grumpy again.

I was WAY off on my game today at work. Yesterday, A promised me room 1, which means that I get the first table of the day and stay open til the end of the day. If you're in room 3 or 4 (like I was yesterday), you close early and "get" to go home early. Normally, this is welcome. This week, not so much. You see, in the last fourteen days, as of Friday, I will have had 6 of them off, and of those 8 days worked, I will have spent 2 days in room 3, one day in room 4, one day at the ice cream parlour, and one day on a TOUR (today).

Tours are crappy. We only had about nine customers each and they rarely tip well because they're saving their money for later or have already spent it all as they're on a bus tour of All-Over-Creation. Aside from tipping very little, you don't get to keep the tips laid down on your tables, you have to share them with not only the other waitress who may have served less or more or gotten less or more tips on their tables, but also the cook staff who helped you. I understand that it's nice for them to get tips, too, but this means my total take home in tips today was less than 8 dollars... and frankly, I can't afford to work like this.

I can't have an $8/hr job and not be making at least $12/day in tips... but K needed training and A wanted me to do it instead of J because I'm a better waitress, I guess. Yes, please punish me for being good at my job.

I also had to drive the truck to work which puts me in an automatic bad mood, and to make things worse, it was on EMPTY when I got in. I had no money to put gas in so I prayed and stressed all the way to work hoping I would get there without running out. I did, and was relieved that, working in room 1, I would make enough to pay my gas home... then I found out I had to do a tour... I was quite upset. In the end, I still had to borrow $7 from the other waitress to make sure I could get home gaswise. Like, $7 doesn't even pay my gas, grr! Also, laundry sidetracked me and yelled at me immediately when I came in the door for turning my daycap in every time I turn in my dress (which I did not know I wasn't supposed to do), then cookstaff yelled at me for something stupid, and then J got all huffy with me for some stupid reason... then the same cookstaff who yelled at me earlier snapped him in the face with a wet dishtowel. We're allowed to hate each other, but if someone else gets in on the fray, they're in trouble.

Yesterday, I was yelled at at least twice. In general, it doesn't bother me but when I'm already having a crappy day, I felt like crying most of the day. Then I found out that one of my favorite cooks quit... boo.

So I came home all grumpy like and decided to ride Bronwyn and proceeded to have the MOST AMAZING RIDE EVER on her. She is such a doll. She is finally starting to "get it" about riding, moving forward, leg and voice cues. After trotting her for quite a bit, deciding I definitely need better support for the... erm.. girls.. working her up to a good sweat and getting a lot accomplished, Shay came up to the ring to talk to me and I had her open the gate for me and I took Bronwyn out the pasture. She has never been ridden outside of her little ring or in the yard and she was quite forward but handled everything SO well. I rode her up the hill (when I rode Angel up the hill the first time, she backed down sideways, not a very pleasant experience) which she took well and took her time coming back down, really working her hind end to hold her back instead of glomming on her front end... then I rode her into the pond and let me tell you I have NEVER had a horse that enjoys water like she does. I didn't go in too far because I was afraid she would roll... then I took her back to the barn. What a moof. I love her and wouldn't trade her for the world.

1 comment:

raeonix said...

You should change your title to "Living in a World with No Amanda" or "Living in a World with No Updates".