Thursday, June 12, 2008

You got me begging you for mercy...

Submissions: 46 Rejections: 18 Requests: 1


I am not letting myself get too excited over the request for five pages of manuscript - I think my novel has to be read in it's entirety to be appreciated, but this is at least a start. The fact that this agent has requested more after my query letter means they think it's worth a read, and they're not going to be the only ones that do!

I was starting to get a little bit discouraged. It's just disheartening to send out so many and get so many flat out no's without requests for more material. It's all good, though - this email has given me the encouragement I need to push on and continue. SOMEONE out there wants this book, SOMEONE out there will think it's worth publishing, and hopefully, lots of SOMEONES will buy it. I don't expect to get rich and famous but once you've been published, it's easier to sell other books to agents.

Work is going alright - we had a tour group where I handled 21 who all sat at the same time. I worked myself into a tizzy because I wrote down the orders in the wrong order and then was having trouble reading them but things worked out fine in the end - I did the best I could and no one was upset or angry and that is what counts best. I only got $11 in tips, though, and that was all I did all day, so kind of a write off and a piss off, but I'll get over it.

Today I get a room with tables (yay) instead of the tour, so hopefully I will garner some more there. The girls were asking me yesterday if I was making more here than at my first call center job and I had to think about it - if you calculate the benefits in, no.. then they said I hadn't seen the July/August tips you garner, so I wasn't convinced yet, but I would be. (Yay!)

Anyways, off to work today and tomorrow and then I have Saturday off for Nicole's wedding where I'm taking pictures. Hopefully I don't mess that up majorly.

1 comment:

Lauren R said...

hey girl... is it possible to read your manuscript anywhere? i'm a reading fiend and always looking for something new...