Sunday, June 1, 2008

Getting caught up... and sick!

Submissions: 22 Rejections: 6 Requests: 0


We served our second group on Friday, also a group of UK tourists. They were sweet and very understanding. Things don't feel as forced and difficult as they did on Wednesday, in fact I was a whiz with taking orders and getting the main course and beverages out, but when it came to clearing tables, getting desserts out and getting the bill out, things slowed down and gummed up a little bit for me. I did learn not to write my order out side to side because when I start writing the bill, things get confused, so from now on I'll just write it up and down. The end. Things will be easier next time.

Speaking of next time, our next planned dinner is a 120 seat lobster dinner on Monday night. I am starting to come down with an icky cold, I hope I can serve at it because the tips will be killer as everything has already had a 15% tip billed into it. Yippee!

After that, I am not sure what we'll be doing all next week. We've got all the cleaning done and on Thursday, there was so little for us to do that we all took turns running the power floor buffer thing and watching each other slip and slide around the degreased floor and hoping someone would fall and laughing our butts off (note, our supervisor commenced this activity!). They sent us home right after the dinner on Friday... so yeah, I have no idea if I'll be working next week or not, but I probably need to rest up for opening day when I will probably have to do a 14 hour shift. Joy.

Last night, I went to Tiffany and Jamie's for her little housewarming party. For a while, it was just Katrina and Dusty and I there, then they left to go and watch a game, and Tiffany and I went back to Fredericton to pick up Kyle, who had already started drinking. He was the only one really drinking (though Jamie had a few), but it was so nice to visit with these people, some of whom I haven't seen in like two years (I think Kyle and I decided we hadn't seen each other since I had Becca and Kylie here, and it's definitely been longer than that since I saw Tiffany!). Anyways, we all fell back in and chatted like nothing had ever left off and I can definitely see myself coming to visit Tiffany more often - it's a shame gas is so expensive or I would be there all the friggin' time! She has a nice little place and it's in a nice spot - not TOO far from everything, but far enough away that you're not raising a kid on the sidewalks.

I just hope this stupid sickness doesn't knock me out for the dinner Monday!

No comments: